- About Us
- Sign up
Prime Minister’s visit to USA and Egypt, 18 June 2023
Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi will visit USA and Egypt from 20 to 25 June 2023.
At the invitation of H.E Mr. Joseph Biden, President of USA and First Lady Dr. Jill Biden, Prime Minister will pay an Official State Visit to USA. The visit will commence in New York, where Prime Minister will lead the celebrations of the International Day of Yoga at the United Nations Headquarters on June 21. In December 2014, the UN General Assembly had adopted a resolution proclaiming June 21 as the International Day of Yoga.
Prime Minister will thereafter travel to Washington D.C., where he will receive a ceremonial welcome at the White House on June 22, and meet President Biden to continue their high-level dialogue. President Biden and First Lady Dr. Jill Biden will host a State Dinner in honour of the Prime Minister the same evening.
At the invitation of Congressional Leaders, including the Hon. Speaker of the House of Representatives Mr. Kevin McCarthy and Senate Majority Leader Mr. Charles Schumer, Prime Minister will address a Joint Sitting of the U.S. Congress on June 22.
On June 23, Prime Minister will be jointly hosted at a luncheon by H.E. Ms. Kamala Harris, Vice President and Mr. Antony Blinken, Secretary of State. In addition to the official engagements, Prime Minister is scheduled to have several curated interactions with leading CEOs, professionals, and other stakeholders. He will also meet members of the Indian Diaspora.
Prime Minister will subsequently travel to Cairo to pay a State Visit to the Arab Republic of Egypt from 24-25 June 2023. The visit is at invitation of H.E. Mr. Abdel Fattah El-Sisi, President of Egypt, which he extended to the Prime Minister in January 2023 when he graced our Republic Day celebrations as the ‘Chief Guest’. This will be Prime Minister’s first visit to Egypt.
Apart from his talks with President Sisi, Prime Minister is likely to interact with senior dignitaries from the Egyptian Government, some prominent Egyptian personalities, as well as the Indian community in Egypt. Relations between India and Egypt are based on ancient trade and economic linkages as well as cultural and deep-rooted people-to-people ties. During the State Visit of President Sisi in January 2023, it was agreed to elevate the relationship to a ‘Strategic Partnership’. Source: Ministry of External Affairs, India.
Prime Minister’s departure statement ahead of his visit to USA and Egypt, 20 June 2023
I am travelling to the United States of America on a State Visit at the invitation of President Joseph Biden and First Lady Dr. Jill Biden. This special invitation is a reflection of the vigour and vitality of the partnership between our democracies.
I will commence my visit in New York, where I will celebrate the International Day of Yoga on June 21 at the United Nations Headquarters with the UN leadership and members of the international community. I look forward to this special celebration at the very location that supported India’s proposal in December 2014 to recognize an International Day of Yoga.
I will thereafter travel to Washington D.C. President Biden and I have had the opportunity to meet several times since my last Official Visit to the USA in September 2021. This visit will be an opportunity to enrich the depth and diversity of our partnership.
India-US ties are multifaceted, with deepening engagements across sectors. USA is India’s largest trade partner in goods and services. We collaborate closely in science & technology, education, health, defence and security fields. The initiative on Critical & Emerging Technologies has added new dimensions and widened collaboration to defence industrial cooperation, space, telecom, quantum, Artificial Intelligence and biotech sectors. Our two countries are also collaborating to further our shared vision of a free, open and inclusive Indo-Pacific.
My discussions with President Biden and other senior US leaders will provide an opportunity to consolidate our bilateral cooperation as well as in plurilateral forums such as G20, Quad and IPEF.
I will also have the pleasure of joining President Biden and First Lady Dr. Jill Biden for the State Banquet along with a number of dignitaries.
The US Congress has always provided strong bi-partisan support to India-US ties. During my visit, I will address a Joint Session of the US Congress at the invitation of Congressional leadership.
Strong people-to-people linkages have been instrumental in developing the trust between our countries. I look forward to meeting the vibrant Indian-American community that represents the best of our societies. I will also meet some of the leading CEOs to discuss opportunities for elevating our trade and investment relationship and for building resilient global supply chains.
I am confident that my visit to the US will reinforce our ties based on shared values of democracy, diversity and freedom. Together we stand stronger in meeting the shared global challenges.
I will travel to Cairo from Washington D.C. at the invitation of President Abdel Fattah El-Sisi. I am excited to pay a State Visit to a close and friendly country for the first time.
We had the pleasure of receiving President Sisi as the Chief Guest at our Republic Day celebrations this year. These two visits in the span of a few months is a reflection of our rapidly evolving partnership with Egypt, which was elevated to a ‘Strategic Partnership’ during President Sisi’s visit.
I look forward to my discussions with President Sisi and senior members of the Egyptian Government to impart further momentum to our civilizational and multi-faceted partnership. I will also have the opportunity to interact with the vibrant Indian diaspora in Egypt. Source: Ministry of External Affairs, India.
Prime Minister’s meeting with “India Unit” of the Egyptian Cabinet headed by Prime Minister of Egypt, 25 June 2023
Shortly after arriving in Cairo on a State Visit, Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi held a meeting on 24 June 2023 with the "India Unit” in the Egyptian Cabinet. This India Unit was set up earlier this year following the State Visit of President of Egypt, H.E. Mr. Abdel Fattah El-Sisi, to India as Chief Guest for Republic Day 2023. The India Unit is headed by the Prime Minister of Egypt H.E. Mr. Mustafa Madbouly, and comprises a number of Ministers and senior officials.
2. Prime Minister Madbouly and his Cabinet colleagues outlined the activities that the India Unit has been undertaking, and proposed new areas of cooperation. They appreciated the positive response from their Indian counterparts, and look forward to deepening India-Egypt bilateral relations in numerous sectors.
3. Prime Minister appreciated the setting up of the India Unit and welcomed this ‘whole of the government approach’ to take forward bilateral relations with India, and shared India’s readiness to work closely with Egypt in various areas of mutual interest.
4. Discussions took place on ways to strengthen cooperation in areas like trade and investment, renewable energy, green hydrogen, IT, digital payment platforms, pharma and people to people ties.
5. Other than Prime Minister Madbouly, seven Egyptian Cabinet Ministers and senior officials were present at the meeting, including:
H.E. Dr. Mohamed Shaker El- Markabi, Minister of Electricity and Renewable Energy
H. E. Mr. Sameh Shoukry, Minister of Foreign Affairs
H.E. Dr. Hala Al-Said, Minister of Planning and Economic Development
H.E. Dr. Rania Al-Mashat, Minister of International Cooperation
H.E. Dr. Mohamed Maait, Minister of Finance
H.E Dr. Amr Talaat, Minister of Communications and Information Technology
H.E. Eng. Ahmed Samir, Minister of Industry and Trade. Source: Ministry of External Affairs, India.
Prime Minister’s Interaction with the Indian Community in Egypt, 25 June 2023
Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi interacted with Indian community members on 24 June 2023 in Cairo, during his State visit to Egypt.
2. In his interaction with them, Prime Minister lauded the community for their contribution towards strengthening India-Egypt ties.
3. Over 300 members of the Indian diaspora, comprising students, professionals, and businesspersons, participated in the event. Source: Ministry of External Affairs, India.
Prime Minister’s meeting with the Grand Mufti of Egypt, 25 June 2023
Prime Shri Narendra Modi met the Grand Mufti of Egypt, His Eminence Dr. Shawky Ibrahim Allam, on 24 June 2023 during his State Visit to Egypt.
2. The Grand Mufti fondly recalled his recent visit to India, and highlighted the strong cultural and people to people relations between India and Egypt. The Grand Mufti also appreciated the Prime Minister’s leadership in fostering inclusivity and pluralism.
3. Discussions also focused on issues related to social and religious harmony in society and countering extremism and radicalization.
4. Prime Minister conveyed that India would set up a Centre of Excellence in IT at the Dar-al-Ifta under the Ministry of Social Justice of Egypt. Source: Ministry of External Affairs, India.
Prime Minister meets with Mr. Tarek Heggy, renowned Egyptian author and petroleum strategist, 25 June 2023
Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi met with Mr. Tarek Heggy, renowned Egyptian author and petroleum strategist on 24 June 2023, in Cairo.
2. Discussions between the two covered issues related to global geopolitics, energy security, radicalism and gender equality. Source: Ministry of External Affairs, India.
Prime Minister meets with Ms. Reem Jabak and Ms. Nada Adel, prominent Egyptian Yoga instructors, 25 June 2023
Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi met with two prominent young Yoga instructors, Ms. Reem Jabak and Ms. Nada Adel, on 24 June 2023, in Cairo.
2. Prime Minister praised them for their commitment to Yoga and encouraged them to visit India. They informed the Prime Minister of the great enthusiasm for Yoga in Egypt. Source: Ministry of External Affairs, India.
Prime Minister’s meeting with Mr. Hassan Allam, CEO of Hassan Allam Holding Company, 25 June 2023
Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi met with Mr. Hassan Allam, CEO of Hassan Allam Holding Company, one of the largest Egyptian companies operating in the Middle East and North African region on 24 June 2023 in Cairo.
2. They discussed possibilities of forging closer cooperation with Indian companies in renewable energy, green hydrogen, infrastructure and construction sectors. Source: Ministry of External Affairs, India.
Prime Minister's visit to Al-Hakim Mosque, 25 June 2023
Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi visited Al-Hakim Mosque in Cairo on 25 June 2023 during his State Visit to Egypt.
2. Prime Minister was received by Minister of Tourism & Antiquities of Egypt, Dr. Mostafa Waziri. Prime Minister also met the leaders of Bohra community, who are actively involved in the upkeep of this Fatimid era Shi’a Mosque and highlighted the strong people to people ties between India and Egypt. Source: Ministry of External Affairs, India.
Prime Minister's visit to the Heliopolis War Memorial, 25 June 2023
Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi visited the Heliopolis Commonwealth War Grave Cemetery in Cairo on 25 June 2023 during his State Visit to Egypt.
2. Prime Minister paid homage to over 4300 valiant Indian soldiers who sacrificed their lives in Egypt and Aden during the 1st World War. Source: Ministry of External Affairs, India.
Prime Minister’s meeting with President of Egypt, 25 June 2023
Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi was received by the President of the Arab Republic of Egypt, H.E. Mr. Abdel Fattah Al-Sisi at Al-Ittihadiya Palace on 25 June 2023.
2. The two leaders warmly recalled the State Visit of President Sisi as the Chief Guest at the Republic Day celebrations in January 2023, and welcomed the momentum it has imparted to bilateral relations. They agreed that the newly established ‘India Unit’ in Egyptian Cabinet was a useful tool in steering bilateral collaborations.
3. The leaders discussed ways to further deepen the partnership between the two countries, particularly in areas like trade and investment, information technology, defence and security, renewable energy, agriculture, health, culture and people to people ties.
4. Prime Minister and President Sisi also discussed further cooperation in G-20, highlighting the issues of food and energy insecurity, climate change and the need for Global South to have a concerted voice. Prime Minister looked forward to welcoming President Sisi in New Delhi in September 2023 for the G20 Leaders Summit.
5. An agreement to elevate the bilateral relationship to a "Strategic Partnership" was signed by the two leaders. Three MoUs in the fields of Agriculture, Archaeology & Antiquities and Competition Law were also signed.
6. Prime Minister of Egypt, H.E. Mr. Mostafa Madbouly and a number of other senior Cabinet Ministers were present. From the Indian side, EAM, NSA and senior officials were present. Source: Ministry of External Affairs, India.
Prime Minister conferred with the Order of the Nile, 25 June 2023
In a special ceremony at the Presidency in Cairo on 25 June 2023, President of the Arab Republic of Egypt, H.E. Mr. Abdel Fattah El-Sisi, conferred Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi with the ‘Order of the Nile’, the highest civilian award of Egypt.
2. Prime Minister thanked President Sisi for the honour on behalf of the people of India.
3. Prime Minister is the first Indian to receive the award. Source: Ministry of External Affairs, India.
Shri Mohd. Noor Rahman appointed as the next Ambassador of India to the Republic of Lebanon, 19 June 2023
Shri Mohd. Noor Rahman Sheikh (IFS: 2004) presently Joint Secretary in the Ministry of External Affairs, has been appointed as the next Ambassador of India to the Republic of Lebanon.
2. He is expected to take up the assignment shortly. Source: Ministry of External Affairs, India.
Visit of National Security Advisor to the Sultanate of Oman, 26 June 2023
National Security Advisor (NSA), Shri Ajit Doval paid an official visit to the Sultanate of Oman on 26 June 2023.
During his visit, NSA called on His Majesty Sultan Haitham bin Tarik and delivered a personal message of greetings from Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi. NSA also held wide ranging discussions with H.E. General Sultan bin Mohammed Al Nomani, Minister of the Royal Office, and H.E. Mr. Sayyid Badr bin Hamad Al Busaidi, Foreign Minister of the Sultanate of Oman. The discussions enabled a high level review of the multifaceted bilateral relations between India and the Sultanate of Oman with focus on strengthening mutually beneficial cooperation in key areas for economic & technological development, mutual security and regional stability.
The visit by NSA reflects the strong bilateral relationship between India and Oman, the importance of the Sultanate of Oman as a key partner for India in the Gulf and highlights India's commitment to strengthening its strategic partnership with Oman. The visit provided an opportunity for high-level engagements and further cemented the strong bonds of friendship between India and the Sultanate of Oman. Source: Ministry of External Affairs, India.
Shri Vipul appointed as the next Ambassador of India to the State of Qatar, 11 June 2023
Shri Vipul (IFS: 1998) presently Joint Secretary in the Ministry of External Affairs, has been appointed as the next Ambassador of India to the State of Qatar.
2. He is expected to take up the assignment shortly. Source: Ministry of External Affairs, India.
Prime Minister holds telephone conversation with Crown Prince and Prime Minister of Saudi Arabia, 8 June 2023
Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi had a telephone conversation today with Crown Prince and Prime Minister of Saudi Arabia, HRH Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud.
The leaders reviewed a number of issues of bilateral cooperation and exchanged views on various multilateral and global issues of mutual interest.
Prime Minister thanked Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman for Saudi Arabia's excellent support during evacuation of Indian nationals from Sudan via Jeddah in April 2023. He also conveyed his best wishes for the upcoming Haj pilgrimage.
Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman conveyed his full support to India’s initiatives as part of its ongoing G20 Presidency and that he looks forward to his visit to India.
The two leaders agreed to remain in touch. Source: Ministry of External Affairs, India.
UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
Successful conclusion of the 1st Meeting of the Joint Committee of the India-UAE Comprehensive Economic Partnership Agreement, 12 June 2023
India and UAE successfully held the 1st Meeting of the Joint Committee (JC) of the India-UAE CEPA. During the JC, both sides, inter-alia, reviewed the bilateral trade under the CEPA, agreed to operationalize the established committees/sub-committees/technical council under the CEPA, agreed on mutual exchange of preferential trade data on quarterly basis for effective monitoring of the CEPA, discussed various matters related to the implementation of the Agreement and agreed on addressing any issue that may potentially act as a hindrance to CEPA implementation or its usage by businesses on both sides, agreed on creation of a new sub-committee on Trade in Services, and also agreed to set-up a UAE-India CEPA Council (UICC) as a B2B collaboration mechanism, with a focus on MSMEs and start-ups, for building greater economic linkages and optimizing CEPA benefits.
Both sides also exchanged views on WTO matters. The 13th Ministerial Conference of the WTO (MC13) is scheduled to be held in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates, during the week of 26 February 2024.
A high-level delegation from the UAE, comprising senior officials of the Government of the United Arab Emirates (UAE) and representatives from the business community of the UAE, led by H.E. Dr. Thani bin Ahmed Al Zeyoudi, Minister of State for Foreign Trade of the UAE, visited India on 11-12 June 2023. The agreed minutes of the 1st Meeting of the Joint Committee of the India-UAE Comprehensive Economic Partnership Agreement were signed between the two sides in the presence of the Ministers today.
Earlier, His Excellency Dr. Thani bin Ahmed Al Zeyoudi, Minister of State for Foreign Trade of the UAE called on Shri Piyush Goyal, Union Minister of Commerce and Industry, Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution, and Textiles, Government of India today in New Delhi. The visit also marked the India leg of the 1st Anniversary of the Implementation of the India-UAE Comprehensive Economic Partnership Agreement (CEPA). Both the Ministers addressed a Joint Press Conference on the achievements and the successful conclusion of the 1st meeting of the Joint Committee. Addressing the press conference Shri Goyal said that the two countries had agreed to set a target of USD 100 billion of trade in non-petroleum products by 2030 from the USD 48 billion at present.
Both the ministers also participated in a B-2-B event which was organized by the Department of Commerce in partnership with the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII). Addressing the business gathering at the B2B event, Union Minister of Commerce and Industry, Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution, and Textiles Shri Piyush Goyal emphasized that this path-breaking Agreement has significantly transformed the India-UAE partnership by providing renewed impetus and momentum to an already, close and strong relationship. The Minister also highlighted that initial gains have already started accruing from the Agreement with bilateral trade between India and the UAE growing at around 16.5% and touching an all-time high of around USD 84.84 billion during FY 2023-23.
Shri Goyal said that India’s exports to the UAE also recorded a remarkable growth of 12%, reaching USD 31.6 billion in 2022-2023. He urged businesses from both sides to forge newer ties and build on this momentum. He highlighted other important initiatives that are being discussed between the two sides, including Virtual Trade corridors, potential set-up of offices of the Abu Dhabi Investment Authority in GIFT City, Gujarat, UPI partnership and the potential development of an efficient system for direct Rupee-Dirham trade.
H.E. Dr. Thani bin Zeyoudi, Minister of State of Foreign Trade of the UAE affirmed the keenness of the UAE Government and its leadership to further strengthen the India-UAE bilateral relations by engaging in all areas of mutual importance to both the countries. He also reaffirmed the commitment of his Ministry and his Government in working closely with the Indian side in the same spirit of mutual trust, cooperation and collaboration for the growth, prosperity, and welfare of the peoples of the two countries.
Delivering the welcome remarks, Commerce Secretary, Shri Sunil Barthwal, stated that the visit of the UAE delegation underscored the importance of the economic ties between the two countries.
The B2B event was well attended by representatives from the business communities of India and the UAE, and senior officials from both sides. Source: Press Information Bureau.
As part of the policy, the MEI@ND standardizes spellings and date format to make the text uniformly accessible and stylistically consistent. The views expressed here are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views/positions of the MEI@ND. Editor, MEI@ND P R Kumaraswamy.
BAHRAIN Visit of Minister of State for External Affairs, Shri V. Muraleedharan to Kingdom of Bahr.....
IRAN Raksha Mantri holds bilateral meeting with his Iranian counterpart on the sideline.....
IRAN Shri Rudra Gaurav Shresth appointed as the next Ambassador of India to the Islamic Republic .....
EGYPT Joint Press Release: 3rd Meeting of the India-Egypt Joint Working Group on Counter-Terroris.....
EGYPT Inaugural Edition of Indo-Egypt Joint Training Exercise Cyclone - I Commences in Rajasthan,.....
ISRAEL PM extends Hanukkah greetings to Benjamin Netanyahu and people of Israel, 18 December 2022.....
EGYPT Chief Guest at India’s Republic Day Celebrations 2023, 27 November 2022. At the in.....